Saturday, February 4, 2012

Computer Failure

One of my goals this year is to blog and digiscrap once a week. Last week, I was going to blog about Christmas (yes, I know it's late). This week, it was to be Hyrum's birthday celebration post. How ironic that my computer decided to die just a few weeks into the new year...

I've been computer-less for a week and a half, and it's driving me crazy! I'm currently using John's laptop. However, sharing John's computer doesn't really work well. For one, it's a laptop. I don't like laptops. I use them as rarely as I can. And it runs Vista. Blech. Secondly, John's homework trumps blogging...or scrapping, or Facebooking, or Sims 2. It's kind of in my best interest to let him do his homework...I kind of want him to graduate in 2 months ;)

Thank goodness for my Android! It's let me keep some semblance of sanity while being computer-less.

As for what's wrong with my computer, we (meaning my super techy-nerd sister Lisa and I) think there are several issues. First, the graphics card seems to be dead, as well as the DVI cable (cord that connects computer to monitor for the non techy-nerds out there). We borrowed a VGA cable (another kind of cord that connects computers to monitors) and a monitor from a friend so I could test things out.

The most success I've had is routing the borrowed VGA cable to the craptastic on-board graphics. Windows started to load, but the computer randomly shut itself down. This happened on multiple occasions, at different parts of the startup. So, now we're thinking that the motherboard and/or the power supply are dying as well.

Thankfully, my hard drives seem fine. They better be! Especially the slave drive I just replaced a few months ago when its still-under-warranty predecessor had bad sectors. I have a fairly recent backup, so I wouldn't lose everything...but I would lose a bunch of Nathan's baby pictures :( I'm pretty sure my hard drives are ok, though.

Rather than try to replace out-dated old parts, we decided it was time for me to get a new computer. After all, my current motherboard and processor are 7 years old...I've upgraded other parts in the meantime, but most of what I have has been there for 4 years or more. So, it's time.

The good news is, my sister is building my new computer! We've actually been talking about it off and on for almost a year now. Like as a, "when you need a new computer" thing. Ironically, we were literally talking about it moments before my computer randomly shut down; the first of a series of computer-dying-ness. I did a full virus scan one of the times it was working and it came back clean. No virus; just old dying hardware issues.

Some of the parts for my new computer are Lisa's hand-me-down parts. Like the motherboard, processor, graphics card, RAM, and power supply. None of them had problems; Lisa just likes to upgrade. When we first started talking about building me a computer, we decided that a locking Hyrum-proof case would be necessary. He has this thing for power buttons... I tentatively thought of naming my new system The Childproof, but Lisa pointed out that'd be like calling the Titanic unsinkable...

My new computer won't be top-of-the-line, but it will be substantially better than my current one. Of course, a working computer is always significantly better than a dead one. I'm getting a dual-core processor, a better graphics card, more RAM, and SATA capability. I'm also getting a bigger boot drive and Windows 7 :D And a pretty black case that locks over the power button. No more Hyrum pushing the power or reset button on me!

So far, all the parts have shipped and some arrived already. The case came yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised if Lisa installed the hardware she already has. Once it's all together and set up, Lisa will send it to me. Then, I'll get to install necessary programs like Photoshop and Sims 2.

I'm so excited!! I can't wait to play with my new computer! But first...it needs to be built. I hope to be up and running again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment