Wednesday, August 17, 2011

In Want of A Yard

Oooh how I want a yard. We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. With 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. It meets our needs for now I guess, but it is small. I desperately want more space. But in the summertime, what I want most...is a real yard.

Sure, there are a few grassy areas around the complex. But they aren't what I'd call ideal. There's a long, narrow, sloped grassy median between the 2 parking areas. When we play outside at our complex, that's where we go. But it's not the most kid-friendly place to play. See?

Photobucket
You can see we have no qualms about staying in PJs all day ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

And there are a few grassy areas at the street side of each building. But that's pretty much it. None of those areas are as play friendly as a full on yard. Our complex does not have a play structure; I asked about the possibility once, but there's really not a good place to put one. Not to mention the liability issue on their part.

There is a fabulous park just 2 blocks away...but sometimes I don't really want to put forth the effort required for a trip to the park. Especially in the heat and while pregnant. Pushing a double stroller with 55 lbs worth of kids + heat + 3rd tri = exhausting. Yeah, not very fun. At least not for me. So, most of our park trips lately have involved driving...and John has the car during the day since he has to, you know, be able to get to work...

What I really want is a yard. A fenced in backyard. With a wooden privacy fence.

Imagine the possibilities.

I could take the kids outside to play all day long - and in my PJs, without having to worry about people seeing my ratty, unwashed hair and yesterday's leftover makeup. No having to get ready before we play. Gotta love that.

I could bring a book to read while they play, or do housework or yard work (depending on kid's ages and the yard's safety).

We could have one of those awesome playhouse swing set structures. I'd love for my kids to have one.

I could plant a garden. Not a huge one; just the right size for us. John and I have decided that we'd prefer a smaller, modest garden. I'd have some tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, green peppers, basil (mmm, loooove fresh basil), garlic, strawberries, cherries, apples...maybe a few other herbs, fruits, and veggies. Just things we'd use enough to make it worth the effort.

And of course some pretty flowers and trees. Roses, lilies, willows...stuff like that. I want a nice, shaded garden area with a comfy bench or swing. Something semi-private and romantically tucked away in a back corner, but where I could also watch the kids play.

We'd want a nice, big open grass area for the kids to play in. It'd also be perfect for mingling with BBQ guests and such. Or running through the sprinkler and filling up a plastic kiddy pool. Or water balloon and squirt gun fights.

There'd be a patio area with a BBQ and a large picnic table. We really like the hexagonal ones. Those are just cool!

But on glorious summer nights like tonight, what I long for most is a nice, comfy swing or hammock on the back deck and a good book. Doesn't that sound simply divine? Or, as the kids get older, for all of us to sit out back and just enjoy being together in the evenings. I just love love love summer nights. The cool, refreshing air is simply delicious. I could eat it. It's so invigorating. It's definitely one of my favorite things about summer.

If I had a decent (and private) porch area, I'd probably be out there now. As it is, I've got a window open behind me and 2 fans blowing that delicious air towards me. But it's not quite the same as being out in it.

Next summer, however...we will have a yard. This is our last summer here. We'll head out to grad school in April. Wherever we end up for it, we will have some yard space. It's one of the big criteria for me. We want to rent a 3 bedroom house/duplex/townhouse. We need more space, more privacy, and more of an outdoor play area. I'm sick of sharing walls. I'm sick of not having enough room. And I'm sick of not having a yard.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, you make me grateful for the room we have here. Although I hate having to share it with SOOOO many other kids. We had a lot of space ALL TO OURSELVES at our trailer and I really miss that. At least you yard is in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a dream!! I wish for all that too. It's a seductive daydream, isn't it? I'm lucky now that my boys are old enough to stay out of the street so we can play in the front yard, but I do wish for the privacy and safety (and ball-catching capabilities) of a fenced backyard. *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete