Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Napstrike: Bane of My Existence

Oh yes. The Napstrike. Something I hoped I wouldn't have to deal with for awhile yet.

And yet, here I am. Struggling with it every day.

*sigh* Emma is apparently trying to drop her nap. I am so not ok with this. I'm not sure if she really is trying to drop a nap or if it's some combo of teething that last set of molars, potty training, or the stupid cold we all caught this week.

Whatever the case, she's not ready to give up naps.

I'm not ready for it.

I need the daytime downtime. My sanity needs it. My children need me to have it if they want to survive their childhood.

I'd be more willing to accept this anti-nap state if Emma was happy about it. But she's been cranky, crabby, irritable, overtired, and tantrumy. Oh, she's great when she gets her way. But when I say no, or (heaven forbid) do something for her she wants to do herself, she flips out. Total meltdown.

This wouldn't happen if she got enough sleep. She should be napping now...instead, she's playing in her room.

Bedtime is problematic these days, too. Even when we get her to bed on time, it typically takes at least 2 hours for her to actually fall asleep.

I need at least 2 hours of kid-free time in the evening before I can fall asleep. I need relaxing veg time. Time to blog, read, craft, etc. Time to relax without little ones needing my attention. The way it stands, the earliest I can get to bed is midnight.

The earliest. It's usually later. So now I don't get enough sleep, either. Which makes being a patient mommy all the more challenging. Sleep deprived induced tantrums are the worst. Especially when I don't have the patience to deal with them.

My sanity is on the brink of extinction.

Oh the irony. Emma is asleep...on the floor with a blanket over her head. But since she went down around 3:30, bedtime will be super late. She'll wake up in time for dinner. And then what, try to put her back to bed? I'd like that, but I don't think it would work very well.

I'll probably try it anyway. And get frustrated when it doesn't work.

I'd like to take a nap myself, but Hyrum is wide awake. I know he's tired. I tried to get him to nap, but he's not having it right now.

He'll fall asleep just in time for Emma to wake up. Isn't that how it always works? Perfectly timed so Mom doesn't get a break.

If only John were home so I could pawn kid care off on him for awhile. But he's at work. He should be home soon.

There is no such thing as a day off. Weekends are pretty much non-existent for our family. John has school all day Monday through Friday, work on Saturday, and we're super busy with church stuff on Sunday.

Can I have a break? Please? My sanity needs one. I'm writing this with a baby fussing at my feet. I don't really want to pick him up right now. I want him to sleep so I can sleep. Or at least have some time to myself.

I'm going shopping tonight, sans kids. Not for anything fun or exciting, really. Milk and cheese aren't that interesting. But the time alone? Priceless.

I'm looking forward to it. As horrible as that might sound. And I am anxiously awaiting the moment John opens the door, signaling that I don't have to deal with the kids by myself anymore today.

I am really at my breaking point.

Goodbye, sanity. You were nice while I had you.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. SO sorry :( There were days I left E in her crib for an hour and a half before she ever fell asleep...she wasn't crying, or I'd have gotten her out. But she turned 5 in June and still takes quiet time every day- if we've been busy that morning, she might sleep 3 hours! If she doesn't need to sleep, she'll read for about an hour. You need to find someone who can swap kid time with you! We've been doing the same "single but married" parenting for a long, long time (with a few really lovely breaks.) You need time to just take a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I definitely get you on this Sara! Little ones are so demanding sometimes. I got to get my hair cut today, and I was gone for like 3 hours (taking my time being out of the house, haha). I still wasn't ready to come home! I was enjoying myself far too much. But really there isn't much "breaking" for us on on-track semesters. Blah. I didn't feel bad about today, I just figured that I had to make up for the last few weeks (and the next few weeks) of "single-mommyhood". I don't know how real single-moms do it!! Just 7 weeks until Thanksgiving break... haha. Hang in there! You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob's trying to give his up too. I give him "quiet time" every day, he's got two hours in his room by himself whether or not he sleeps. Sometimes he plays, sometimes he sleeps. When he DOES nap though, bedtime is later. I put the kids in bed around 7:30, 8 ish, but when he naps he's up and in and out of his room til 9. If he doesn't nap, he goes to sleep pretty quickly. Would moving bedtime up help?

    And the wanting her way may be her being two... isn't it a fun age? *sigh*

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete