Thursday, March 15, 2012

Prepping to Move On

As many of you know, John graduates this semester. Graduation is 3 weeks away! YAY! I'm so glad this chapter - more like 1000 page novel - of our lives is finally coming to a close. I'm so proud of him for all his hard work. He's had to juggle school, family, church, job - way more than I had to worry about when I was in college. And I think his accounting classes are way harder than any of my English classes. I'd much rather write a 10 page paper than do complicated accounting equations, any day.

So what next? Grad school!! John got accepted into the grad school program he wanted! We're so excited! We heard about this specific program a little over 2 years ago. As soon as we learned that they had a Masters of Accounting program that allows students to take one extra semester and get a joint MBA, we just knew it was right for us. Apparently they thought so, too ;)

Graduation + grad school = moving. We knew this day would come. We're thrilled. But at the same time, there are things I will miss about this place. We're leaving friends behind. Our children were born here. We have a lot of memories here. And...I'm not too excited about all the packing and cleaning and driving that moving will entail. But it's worth it.

I will not miss the wind, the snow, the insanely cold temps, and the 6 month winters. Not at all. We'll see snow in our new location, but not nearly as much and not as cold.

I can't fully express how excited I am to be moving on. We've watched countless friends graduate and move away; now it's finally our turn!! Finally!!! I need about a billion exclamation points to convey my excitement.

We also already know where we're moving! We have a place to live! Yay, we won't be homeless! We literally had it lined up the very day after we found out John got accepted. Seriously awesome. We can't help but feel amazingly blessed.

How did we get a place so fast? It all started when my friend Lori called me in January. Her adorable family moved out of our ward in July. They actually moved to where we're going. They're from there. Well, Lori called me to tell me about a neighborhood of duplexes in their ward boundaries. They're really nice; 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 car garage, and a yard. And best of all, they're subsidized. We'll be paying $50 less than we are now. For like double the space. And we've got a 50-50 chance of being in the same ward as our friends! So awesome!!!

We immediately called and got on the waiting list. In January. Because we got on the list when we did, we were able to grab the April 1st opening. We're not moving till the 9th-13th, but we didn't want to risk not having a place to move into. So we'll start paying rent for our new place a week and a half before we move in.

Thankfully, our current apartment is pro-rating the month of April. They usually don't pro-rate, but since a semester ends early in the month and another starts mid-month, they chose to pro-rate just this April as an incentive for parting tenants to move out in time for the newbies to move in. So fabulous! Could we be any more blessed? Everything is falling perfectly into place.

Now to hope all the packing and end-of-college schoolwork can fall into place...I know it will; it just takes a lot of work and faith to make that happen. I'll do the packing and John will do the schoolwork. Win win! At least for me ;) I can't do his homework anyway. I've already started packing. With all the stuff we have and taking care of 3 kids, I need to start early! I've packed 11 boxes since he got accepted. I have more to pack, but first I need to buy more packaging tape.

The packing part is not so bad...it's the insane deep cleaning that I dread!! I got a little head start on that, but...well...we'll see. It'll get done, just not much in advance. Thankfully, my mom is flying out for graduation and to help with the move. Thank goodness!! We are so incredibly blessed. Life is working out beautifully. Time to move forward with our lives!

1 comment:

  1. SOoo happy for you!! And especially with how well everything is working out :) Sounds like you are definitely doing what is right for your family!! I am impressed at your early packingness. Maybe I should try that this time... And for deep cleaning - talk to your RS people! If NOTHING else, they should be able to find people to help watch your kids. People love to serve :)

    ReplyDelete